Monday, April 23, 2007

It was not easy being a bricklayer

Many of you are aware my father and uncle, Jim bob Halsell and Ray Donald halsell, were trained early in their lives to be Union Masonry Tradesmen. The following letter
demonstrates the daunting demands of this line of work:






Dear Sir:


I am writing in response to your request for more information
concerning Block #11 on the insurance form which asks for “cause of
injuries” wherein I put “Trying to do the job alone.” You said you needed
more information so I trust the following will be sufficient.
I am a brick layer by trade and on the date of injuries I was working
alone laying brick around the top of a four story building when I realized
that I had about 500 pounds of brick left over. Rather than carry the bricks
down by hand, I decided to put them into a barrel and lower them by a
pulley which was fastened to the top of the building. I secured the end of
the rope at ground level and went up to the top of the building and loaded
the bricks into the barrel and swung the barrel out with the bricks in it. I
then went down and untied the rope, holding it securely to insure the slow
descent of the barrel.
As you will note on Block #6 of the insurance form, I weigh 145
pounds. Due to my shock at being jerked off the ground so swiftly, I lost
my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Between the second
and third floors I met the barrel coming down. This accounts for the
bruises and lacerations on my upper body.
Regaining my presence of mind again, I held tightly to the rope and
proceeded rapidly up the side of the building not stopping until my right
hand was jammed in the pulley. This accounts for the broken thumb.
Despite the pain, I retained my presence of mind and held tightly to
the rope. At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit
the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Devoid of the weight of the
bricks, the barrel now weighed about 50 pounds. I again refer you to Block
#6 and my weight.
As you would guess, I began a rapid descent. In the vicinity of the
second floor I met the barrel coming up. This explains the injuries to my
legs and lower body. Slowed only slightly, I continued my descent landing
on the pile of bricks. This accounts for my sprained back and internal
injuries.
Page 4
I am sorry to report, however, that at this point, I again lost my
presence of mind and let go of the rope, and you can imagine, the empty
barrel crashed down on me. This accounts for my head injuries.
I trust this answers your concern. Please know that I am finished
“Trying to do the job alone.

The moral of the story is we can't do it alone. We need our families!




No comments: